Wednesday, February 3, 2010

1 - Justine: What is art?


To me, making art is translating some sort of feeling, idea, or creative process into a tangible form—into something that can be perceived, looked at, listened to, read, or otherwise appreciated by the senses. It’s evidence of some sort of thought or creative process. It’s an act of creation with intentionality behind it. It’s a manifestation of the human imagination.

But I don’t think that a given piece of art must necessarily communicate one specific message to the viewer. The image that I included is a collage piece that I stumbled across on the internet one day. I like it because it is a seemingly random collection of textures and colors that have been arranged in a purposeful way by the artist to make something cohesive, interesting, and aesthetically pleasing. To me, it conveys the feeling of something natural, organic, and almost bird-like, even though I have no idea if that was what the artist was going for.

No comments:

Post a Comment