Thursday, February 25, 2010

4- Amy Liu: Translation, Imitation, and Emulation

The work I chose was "Jack and Jill" by Walter Sickert. The original is actually based on a movie called Bullets or Ballots and features real actors. It reminded me of fanart--the concept itself is not entirely original. I agree with Benjamin's article in that reproductions can never replace the original. I am usually disappointed to hear that a work is only a reproduction, but I like fanart because it doesn't exactly replicate a piece, but emphasizes other aspects or creates new situations that are at least just as satisfying as any in the original. I also chose this because I liked the play of light and the textures that result from it and thought that it would look really nice in charcoal. I also liked the composition, particularly the contrasting expressions of the two characters depicted in this piece.


I had a really difficult time finding an image of the original painting online. Searching "Jack" and "Sickert" led to a plethora of links on speculations that Sickert had been "Jack the Ripper," so I was reduced to uploading my own scan of the work, taken from the book Painting the Century.


No comments:

Post a Comment