Tuesday, February 23, 2010

4- Becca Coleman: Translation, Imitation, Emulation


For my reproduction I chose Picasso’s “Sleeping Woman” from the RISD image library. This work jumped out at me because of the bold gesture of the lines and the deep shading. I am very intrigued by Benjamin’s concept of aura—the sense of awe based in the art’s uniqueness and exclusivity that the viewer feels upon viewing it. Knowing that the image I chose was created by Picasso gave it a bit of the aura of which Benjamin writes as Picasso’s name in my mind is synonymous with great (and famous) works of art. This aura will be lost in my reproduction as I am just starting out as an artist and so my name does not carry the renown that Picasso’s does. Also, because my image will be posted online and thus readily available to anyone with access to the internet, it will lack the aura that works of art which are displayed in exclusive galleries (only available to a limited audience) hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment