Tuesday, February 23, 2010

4-Jaclyn Ponish: Translation, Imitation, Emulation

My Reproduction:

Original: Tea Ceremony by Ned Bannier from Ceramics Technical Magazine


For this assignment I chose to make a reproduction of a sculpture and a drawing of a reproduction of that sculpture. The sculpture I chose was Tea Ceremony by Ned Bannier. As for Walter Benjamin's essay, I agree with him on some points such as the fact that original productions of works have a certain "aura" about them and also the fact that some replicas of works do not do justice to the originals. For example, seeing the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in real life, I feel, would be more magical than just seeing the reproduction of God touching the hand of man that is made and available in stores around the world. However, I do not agree that reproductions lessen the value of the original and I think that it is great that people can bring reproductions of art work that they like into their personal spaces such as their home or office.

No comments:

Post a Comment